12.04.2008

Sunday, December 4, 1988

To Quote the Immortal ALF ...

I did it! I got through the weekend on only 1 pence! And I have 1 pence to spare!

I was going to work on my research paper today, but, well, you know how that goes sometime. I only got a little bit of the work done. I spent the day quite lazily. Eating a typical lunch. That wasn't a complete sentence. But on a lazy day, you just can't expect every sentence to be complete.

Anyway, I spent most of the day hanging out with Viv (and Liz as well), writing some more letters back home, watching ALF at 2.30 p.m. Man, it was great to see an episode of ALF again. Liz said she thought it was crap, but she was laughing the whole way through. She won't admit it, but she's hooked.) I watched the episode after that one with Viv.

The second episode was a particularly good one, with ALF running for president against Kate. I had seen it twice before, but the first time I saw it here in England. The episode has two great ALF quotes:
  • "If I may quote Joe Biden, 'We have nothing to fear but fear itself."
  • "To balance the budget is simple. You just spend less than you make."
I did just that this weekend. I only had 1p, and I spent less!

Boredom and a lack of cash resources can sometimes lead to interesting endeavors. While Kurt was taking an afternoon nap in his room, J.P. decided it would be fun to "bog roll" Kurt's door while he was snoozing. So he took a roll from the loo, tore off strips, stretched them across the door and taped them until Kurt's door was completely covered. He included a "Police Line: Do Not Cross" sign at the top of the door.

It looked great and I got a few photos of J.P.'s handiwork (OK, a few of us helped, but he was the mastermind.) Then we waited in anticipation for Kurt to awake. It wasn't long before he opened his door, then ripped through the bog roll barrier. He was actually none-too-pleased by the prank (a most unusual reaction), but most likely due to his lingering grogginess. We cleaned up the mess, and in a short time, all was right again. (Pictured: The Artist and His Masterpiece)

I started to read "Earnest" again, but no more progress on the paper. At midnight I called home to say hello and see how things were going. I told my parents about Shannon the Hamster. They were obviously surprised, but they seemed to like it.

***
  • Number One Song in Britain This Week: "The First Time" - Robin Beck
  • Number One Song in America This Week: "Look Away" - Chicago

No comments: