5.01.2009

Monday, May 1, 1989

Spring Fever ...

Being May Day, there were no classes scheduled today. Apparently, it's a holiday here, sort of like Memorial Day (which they don't celebrate in Britain), so everything was closed.

But it was an absolutely beautiful day, unseasonably warm for this area, and as warm as any day that I experienced while in Spain. Definitely spring fever weather.

I woke up early today after getting to bed late last night, and after some reading the tiredness really hit me hard in the early afternoon. I fell asleep from 3 p.m. until about 5, when I woke up and rushed to the dining hall, still dazed from sleep.

After dinner in the St. Michael's common room, I watched a bit of a Charlie Chaplin short and then the beginning of the original "Baron Munchausen" movie, from 1961, with subtitles. It was, with it's paper-like cartoons and bizarre storyline and events, even more Terry Gilliam-y then Terry Gilliam's version. However, I was only to see 15 minutes of the movie when the TV was taken over by watchers of the soap "Neighbours." So I left.

Later I caught the end of "Baron Munchausen" in the St. Hilda's common room with J.P., who also thought it bizarre. Then we walked outside to soak in the sun, chat, and write up silly stories.

I was walking back in when I stopped to say hi to Buffy, and I ended up talking to her for about an hour on subjects ranging from movies, to music, and from essays to home. Later we had a cup of coffee in my room and continued talking while I showed her some of my photos from Spain. She is as eager to get home as I am.

At 10.10 p.m. we were able to snag the St. Martin's TV and watch Woody Allen's brilliantly funny film "Annie Hall." Following the movie, I returned to my room and let Shannon run about while reading some more of "For Whom the Bell Tolls." Finally went to bed after 1 a.m.

No comments: