1.08.2009

Sunday, January 8, 1989

From Penzance to Hull ...

Woke up at 8.15 and went to eat some breakfast. I managed to lock myself out of my room in the process, but fortunately it ended up not posing any problems for me. I had a good breakfast, and afterwards I gathered my gear, paid my bill, and began my walk to the train station along the seacoast. (Picture #1)

It was a foggy day, and I was able to get a really good shot of the island, as well as a most unusal shot of a grocery cart in the sea (one of two that I saw... how does a grocery cart end up in the ocean?) (Picture #2)

Caught the train and relaxed. Not much to do really for the next nine hours but read, eat, play some solitaire and enjoy some of the scenery that southern England has to offer. Cornwall is a very beautiful part of England, I must say. I was really glad that I decided to make this a part of my vacation trip.

The train was filled with college students, no doubt doing the same thing I was doing... returning to their respective colleges and universities. The train arrived in London's Paddington Station at around 3.30 p.m., and at 4 p.m. I caught a train that was bound for Scotland. Of course, I was only riding it as far as Doncaster.

A little while into the trip, I noticed that the train was taking, for no apparent reason, a longer route through Lincoln. It ended up adding about an hour to my trip. So I finally arrived in Doncaster, but then had another half hour wait before the train to Hull arrived to pick me up.

I finally arrived in Hull at about 9 p.m., and was safely back at The Grange halls about 20 minutes later. There was no immediate sign of life, but it wasn't long before Viv stopped by my room, just having returned to the halls with her father and dropped off a few of her things.

I continued to unpack and unwind, and later, Viv joined me to wind out the evening. It was a great trip, but it's also nice to be back with friends and get things back to normal again.

(Pictures #3, #4, & #5 are all shots of Penzance.)

***

  • Number One Song in Britain This Week: "Especially for You" - Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan
  • Number One Song in America This Week: "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" - Poison

No comments: