10.14.2008

Friday, October 14, 1988

It’s Curtains for Doug. Curtains!

I woke up around 8:30 a.m. for my first class, a Social/Political Structures Seminar that begins at 9:15 a.m., which wasn’t too bad. Following class with Ms. Roz Billington, Doug and I took off for Newland Avenue, where we stopped at Lloyd’s Bank to withdraw a bit of cash from our accounts, then at a bakery where we purchased some garlic bread (our latest obsession). Then it was off to a curtain/blanket store, where Doug bought curtains and a sleeping bag/comforter for his bed. I’m going to have to come back here and get some things for myself!

Well, then it was back to the residence so that Doug could install and check out his new “toys.” After lunch, we more-or-less relaxed. We finally got a hold of a Risk board, so we played a few games of that for awhile. The first game we played, I finished second to J.P., who played quite well. Next, I helped Kenny finish second to Andy Croxhall, a native of Huddersfield and a fanatic for his hometown football team.

Then, after dinner and some supplemental food, we travelled up to Sid’s friend Bits’ room for what was to become the Risk Game of the Century. It all started at 10:30 p.m. with Kenny, Doug, Andy, a friend of Bits’ who’s name I don’t recall, a myself leading our respective troops into battle. There was some fierce battling through the night. Apparently it got a bit too loud for some, as an annoying downstairs neighbor came up to our room to complain about the noise (the nerve!) and then got the hall assistant (who was on our side in this battle) to ask us to turn our radio down. That was amusing, since we hadn’t had the radio on for about two hours.

We completed the game at 2:15 a.m. with Kenny working out of Australia to defeat me at the very end. Once again, I was the bridesmaid. Oh well! After the game, it was off to my room for some much needed rest.

No comments: