10.30.2008

Sunday, October 30, 1988

Match of the Day

Still only had 9p on me, so I couldn’t do much. (There’s a lot to be said about allowing yourself to be poor.) I did a good bit of reading today, taking a big chunk out of “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service,” Ian Fleming’s excellent James Bond thriller.

Then it was an afternoon highlighted by a football game (“soccer,” of course, and my first organized game in at least 5 years) on the field behind the residences, featuring a lot of English and Irish lads who’ve been playing for years, which made it interesting.

Our team won, 7-3, and while I was rusty and largely useless, I did manage a few shots on goal. The one guy on our team was Bono. That was good fun, and J.P. and I got quite a workout.

That evening, Viv and I decided to get some Chinese from Double Happiness, and had dinner in my room with a bottle of Ernest & Julio Gallo Chenin Blanc. Afterwards, I walked her back to her room, and, being Sunday, went to sleep so that I could get up for class tomorrow at 3:15 p.m.

(Pictured: St. Martin's Hall. Follow the path off the right, then make another right, and you'd be on the field where the soccer game was played.)

****
  • Number One Song in Britain This Week: "Orinoco Flow" - Enya
  • Number One Song in America This Week: "Kokomo" - The Beach Boys

No comments: