Monday, October 17, 1988

Big Decorate the Room Thing

Since our only class is at 3:15 p.m., I only woke up around 10 a.m. The day started at about 10:30 a.m. with Doug and I walking down to Newland Avenue to hit the bank, Herby’s Deli, and Tony’s Textiles, where I bought some things to liven up my room. That included a set of curtains for my windows, a sleeping bag to use as a blanket for my bed, and a red cloth to cover my light (giving it a softer, reddish hue). Got that idea from Doug. Now my room looks pretty sharp. (You can sort-of see some of the design in the B&W photo of the room, including the curtains and comforter.)

At noon Doug and I went downtown so that Doug could buy Duran Duran’s new album “Big Thing” – the album he has been anxiously waiting for. He bought the album on cassette, and then we shopped for about an hour and purchased some other necessities for our rooms.

After we returned from our “Big Thing” excursion, I set up my room with my new items, then headed over to Doug’s room to listen to the new album. I thought it was very good, so I’ll have to tape it from him. Following that, we went to our class, and then went for dinner.

At 7:00 p.m. we planned another Risk match. With six teams playing (Kenny joined my “Flamingo Empire”), we began our quest for world domination. After several glorious battles. The board was down to three remaining players: J.P., John (now known as “Little John,” to avoid confusion with Jon Whalley, or “Big Jon.”) and a severely weakened Flamingo Empire. However, J.P. and Little John underestimated us and chose not to wipe us out, instead choosing to knock each other around in the hopes of dealing a fatal blow.

Quietly, we won a few minor battles, collected our Risk cards, and slowly rebuilt an empire in the Americas. At around 10:30 p.m., we cashed in another set of cards for additional armies, and that enabled us to conquer the world!

Doug, who had left the room when we were weak and assumed we would be wiped out in short order, returned to find us on our final rampage, and was quite shocked at the turnaround (though he said that he kind of expected something like that might happen.)

After that, I visited Viz (Viv and Liz) briefly, then went back to the gang in St. Hilda’s before returning to my room for some sleep.

No comments: