1.20.2009

Friday, January 20, 1989

Inauguration Day! ...

I woke up at noon - much later than usual - and made my way downstairs at Dr. Morrison's house to have some breakfast and read the newspaper.

I was still sitting at the table finishing my breakfast when Fiona came down and told me that she was taking me out to lunch. So, fresh from one meal, I was granted another - lasagna, at the local pub. After a delicious meal, I returned to the house to do some reading for class - "Howard's End." I actually quite enjoy that book so far.

At 4.30 p.m., they began their TV coverage of the inauguration ceremony for George Bush. So down went the book, and it was me in front of the TV, wishing I was there. It could've been me. I actually did get an invitation sent to me back home to attend one of the inaugural balls, but seeing as how I couldn't afford to make the trip, I had to pass. My friends Greg (who spoke at the Dan Quayle rally) and Trista went to the ball, however. Lucky them!

After the coverage ended, I watched the news, and then when Dr. Morrison returned, caught my favorite Mel Brooks film, "High Anxiety." Dr. Morrison also got me started reading the very thick and comprehensive book, "The Chronicle of the 20th Century." It was fabulous, and unfortunately I couldn't put it down. I read it religiously until 10, when Dr. Morrison's cousin, Ronnie and his wife arrived.

We ate dinner at about 10.30 p.m., and then all of us sat in the lounge, talking. I called home at 1.45 a.m., but only Grandma was home at the time. Fortunately this time I didn't have to call collect and get cut off, so I left a message with Grandma and Mom and Dad called back at 2 a.m. (9 p.m. their time) We had a good conversation, and I wished a happy birthday to both Mom (two days ago) and Grandma (tomorrow... well actually, it was already officially her birthday where I was, but not quite yet where she was.)

Afterwards I read a bit more before finally calling it a day.

No comments: