11.14.2008

Monday, November 14, 1988

Oops!

This day can best be summed up by the word "oops." That's not to be confused with "Whoops," which Doug described as the term you would use if, say, Jupiter blew up.

Anyway, the day started out just fine, waking up at 8.30 a.m. when Viv came to my room to say goodbye before she headed off to her day of classes. As soon as she left, I fell right back to sleep. I woke up again at about 9.30 a.m. when Doug stopped by. He had a good laugh when he saw me in my sweatpants and messy hair, then told me that we would meet at the bus stop at around 10.45 a.m. on Cottingham Road and head into town. He left, and I fell back to sleep. (Pictured: The actual bed where I kept falling back to sleep.)

So at 12.15 p.m. I woke up officially, well past the time I was supposed to meet up with Doug. Feeling enormously guilty but unsure of what to do, I took a shower. When I returned to my room Doug had stopped by and dropped off a piece of graph paper... and replacement lead for my mechanical pencil! (Journal returns from being written in black ink to once again being written in lead pencil.) So I guess Doug wasn't too upset with me for oversleeping. I went to grab a sandwich for lunch, then went over to his room to make amends.

I returned to my room to eat my sandwich, then started reading "The Cherry Orchard" by Anton Chekov for my Poetry and Drama class. Went to class at 3.15, discussed "The Cherry Orchard" and all of its brilliant significance, then came back to The Grange at 4.45 and got in line for dinner. After dinner I did a little map drawing using the graph paper that Doug provided for me, and then we started to get a group together to go see the Robin Williams movie Good Morning Vietnam. I'd already seen it twice when it came out in the U.S., but definitely worth a third look.

I went to get Viv, but she wasn't in and I wasn't sure where she was. I figured she must have been out with other friends, so I left and got Sid, Andy, Paul and he headed downtown to the movie theater.

After we returned from the movie, there was a rather harsh note left for me under the door by Viv. She was very angry that I did not get her to go to the movies. So I did the only logical thing... I explained myself in a harsh note back. I think the evening can be concluded by a quote by H.I. McDonough (Nicolas Cage) in Raising Arizona... "I'm in dutch with the wife." Whoops! (Yes, whoops!)

No comments: